"Tanking"

Share advice with other fantasy league commissioners. Trade trips and tricks.

"Tanking"

Postby Hawkman76 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Has anyone had to deal with someone intentionally trying to tank the season? How did you handle it?
Hawkman76
Rookie

Re: "Tanking"

Postby mateo22 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Yes, in my leagues (Dynasty) you are penalized waiver cash which we use for a lot of things for your 1st offense. 2nd offense is Picks being taken away. 3rd is removal from league. If you are in a league and you are not the commish then you are at the mercy of the commish's choices.
mateo22
Veteran

Postby Smellulater » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:21 pm

We have a $20 fine per player if you start a player on a bye week, we used to also charge $10 if player was ruled “out”. Teams could still tank but this was a slight deterrent.
Smellulater
Rookie

Postby BigAssHam » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:19 pm

Several ways -
1. We draft NFL style straight, not serpentine. We changed draft order from where worst record drafts 1st, to the winner of the Toilet Bowl drafts 1st overall. Toliet Bowl loser drafts 2nd, etc, all the way to Superbowl winner drafts last. This encourages guys who are out of the playoffs to still keep a competetive team.
2. We have penalties for not starting a full line up. Start a guy who is out due to injury, on bye week, other reason known to be out you are in violation of this rule. 1st offense is a warning. 2nd offene is a $ fine and loss of draft pick, and Commish starts to monitor your weekly line up. 3rd offense is technically avoided because Commish will take over management of the offending team at that point. Its in our league rules.
3. We publicly humiliate the guy on the Message board!
BigAssHam
Rookie

Postby MHadler » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:44 pm

We have no deterrent to intentionally starting active players which are least likely to score points. So continuing to play Bridgewater weeks after Brees returns? That you can get away with (although back channel communication, followed by front channel, is likely).

Starting Suspended/Out/Non-rostered/Bye players results in a fine of roughly 1/6 the league fee, or 10 times the transaction fee. It's the same amount, so take your pick.

Disclaimer:
We are a keep 6 of 16 keeper league with straight draft determined by prior year finish. Over the past 5 years or so, most of the impact draftees have tended to come from rounds 2-4 for whatever reason.
MHadler
Rookie

Postby Hawkman76 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Full disclosure, I had already decided to remove the owner from the league when I posted my initial question. The decision was based on several issues with this particular owner, the attempted tanking being the most egregious. I appreciate the responses and hope to see more as I try to make a decision on how to cover this matter moving forward.
Hawkman76
Rookie

Return to Commissioner's Corner