Adding 'COVID Spot' for 2020

Share advice with other fantasy league commissioners. Trade trips and tricks.

Adding 'COVID Spot' for 2020

Postby BigAssHam » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 pm

In-season, the NFL plans on having a 'COVID list'. It sounds like it will function like a IR list. Teams can move a player to the list for a period of time while that player could recover but not count against the active roster limits.
If this happens... CAN RTSPORTS PLEASE ADD A COVID SPOT? Or multiple spots?
With weekly COVID testing, and players being held out due to positive test, this year roster management will be harder than ever. I guess this only applies to leagues that have roster size limits (ie, only the good ones :)
Adding a spot will also prevent all kinds of issues with using IR spots. COVID is technically not IR and will not be tied to the NFL weekly IR report. Again, my league limits IR spots and as a Commissioner I dont want to have to constantly police who is eligible for IR.
And if not a COVID spot... please help everyone think ahead for some way to best manage a situtation like multiple players test positive a day before the game, and a owners need to field a complete team with IR and roster size limits.
Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
BigAssHam
Rookie

Re: Adding 'COVID Spot' for 2020

Postby Saint_Greg » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:04 pm

I’d like to see something like this as well.
Saint_Greg
Rookie

Postby MSigmon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:02 am

We need something for this also. We are adding 2 additional IR spots only to be used for Covid players but, like you, don't want to have to do this all year long for every team. Would love to hear some ideas from RT Sports.
MSigmon
Rookie

Postby BlackNumberOne » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:19 am

RT needs to add the ability to add "COVID" Spots in leagues!... Separate from IR Spots.
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius
BlackNumberOne
Veteran

Postby RBurnham » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes, please add the Covid reserve spots
RBurnham
Rookie

Postby NTKL_Commish » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:14 pm

+1 Just started discussing this with my league. We do not have IR and I don't want to turn it on, then manually monitor a COVID report.

Does anyone know if anyone from RT actually monitors this forum?
NTKL_Commish
Rookie

Postby KingPrawn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 am

From an e-mail I sent asking RTSports

"No, there is not going to be a special COVID IR option. "
KingPrawn
Rookie

Postby JMan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:29 pm

KingPrawn wrote:From an e-mail I sent asking RTSports

"No, there is not going to be a special COVID IR option. "

Great
JMan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby JMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:08 am

RT Injured Reserve Options
Not Used
Used - No restrictions
Used - Player must be officially on I/R
Used - Player must be OUT or worse
Used - Player must be DOUBTFUL or worse
Used - Player must be QUESTIONABLE or worse

The question is how will RT treat COVID here. We know the league will report it and there is a designation for it. If it is considered OUT then regular IR should work.

it would be great to see a "must be COVID" option here, but again this could still work.
JMan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby BigAssHam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I sent two emails, but no response from RT, yet. JMan I think the trouble with using IR is that its going to be reported on a different list. Injured Reseved vs. Reserve/COVID-19.

Like you said maybe using IR could work if a "must be COVID" option is added. But note to RT - then we will also need the ability to select TWO options (currently restricted to choosing 1 option). Example, I would want to set to 'Doubtfull or Worse' and 'must be COVID'.

To me the easier thing to do, programatically and proceedurely, is for RT to duplicate what is already in place for IR. Change the name to COVID (and works along side IR). And let Commissioner's decide if they want to add this new COVID option to their league. I'm worried that every week we are going to see multiple players OUT due to COVID. ANd to expect us to manage it using the existing IR rules is going to be a bad user experience.
BigAssHam
Rookie

Postby JMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm

Agreed - especially since RT won't enforce when players come off IR

What I am seeing on some other sites:

Exceeding max reserves will make roster illegal and such claims/trades/drafting will be denied
*Only players on the NFL Injured Reserve List (out for the season) and PUP List may be moved to the Injured Reserve slot
*Allow suspended players to be moved to Injured Reserve
*Allow Covid-19 Opt Out players to be moved to Injured Reserve
*Allow players on a bye week to be moved to Injured Reserve
*Injured Reserve players count toward roster limitation rules

Not counting IR towards roster limits would also be great. "2 slots per team" doesn't make sense this year.
JMan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby ecfoster » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm

I"m not goin to lie. I'm a little turned off if the RT admins neglect or choose to not explore this option for its leagues and all of us loyal commissioners. I've run my league for 30 years and we have never used an IR spot because I do not wish to manage (or micromanage) the process.

This COVID issue is monster we have not faced in the past - nor has the NFL. Clearly the technology is there to allow for this spot (s), and the NFL is looking to expand roster sizes to accommodate the concerns. Our game is based on their game. I sure hope the RT admins meet us in the middle to address this valid concern.
"Championships are made when the stands are empty."
ecfoster
Veteran

Postby JMan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:54 pm

ecfoster wrote:I"m not goin to lie. I'm a little turned off if the RT admins neglect or choose to not explore this option for its leagues and all of us loyal commissioners. I've run my league for 30 years and we have never used an IR spot because I do not wish to manage (or micromanage) the process.

This COVID issue is monster we have not faced in the past - nor has the NFL. Clearly the technology is there to allow for this spot (s), and the NFL is looking to expand roster sizes to accommodate the concerns. Our game is based on their game. I sure hope the RT admins meet us in the middle to address this valid concern.

Agreed. But this is sadly more of a daily/money league site now. Very few bespoke backyard leagues around anymore. I don't think we've gotten a single enhancement in 5 years. I always looked forward to Notes From Us through the years.

https://www.rtsports.com/notes

Now it is hardly update aside from changing the dates forward a year.
JMan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby ecfoster » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:59 am

JMan wrote:
ecfoster wrote:I"m not goin to lie. I'm a little turned off if the RT admins neglect or choose to not explore this option for its leagues and all of us loyal commissioners. I've run my league for 30 years and we have never used an IR spot because I do not wish to manage (or micromanage) the process.

Agreed. But this is sadly more of a daily/money league site now. Very few bespoke backyard leagues around anymore. I don't think we've gotten a single enhancement in 5 years. I always looked forward to Notes From Us through the years.

https://www.rtsports.com/notes

Now it is hardly update aside from changing the dates forward a year.

Good point. I had not considered that. Time to shop around to suit our needs. If you learn of a more accomodating service to use, please let me know. I just read that NFL teams are (currently) being allowed to expand their rosters to 80 players to prepare for the virus. Sure would be nice if RT would work towards a simple solution that clearly several of us have requested. Moreover, I get your point. I've asked for a few enhancements for years...such as an open-auction format for free agents - instead of only a silent auction....and have been denied or neglected. Oh well.
"Championships are made when the stands are empty."
ecfoster
Veteran

Postby ChrisToeFer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm

On the topic of Covid, we have added an injury code for players Opting Out (Damien Williams, etc.) this year that aligns with the "Out" category if you use the I/R feature for your league. In other words, if you're league's I/R is setup so teams can put players on I/R for being Out or Worse, you can put DWilliams and any other opt out players on your league's I/R. There will likely be something similar (e.g. another injury code) for players who are held out due to Covid in-season, but we're awaiting final NFL word on that. There are no plans at this time to implement an entire new Covid List for leagues.

And JMan, it seems like we have this conversation every year and yet you forget it every year and say things like " I don't think we've gotten a single enhancement in 5 years.". I pulled up the Notes pages from the last 5 years, and it is nowhere near comprehensive, but here's just a sampling of some of the changes since 2105:
----
Option to Allow Owners to Set Up Polls
Add forecasted points for each player
Add time zone on gamecast page
Draft board display updates to simplify drafting on desktops, tablets and phones
I'm Ready button in money league drafts
Add Projected Stats to Live Draft
Give customers an option of displaying previous year stats or projected stats in the live draft room
Game time on Mobile GameCast page
Added the ability to filter by Conference on the Reports -> Transaction page
Add Spreads for League Games
Scoring details on bench players on Gamecast
Add scoring for new blocked extra point/2-pt conversion return to opposite end zone
Show projected points in gamecast
Do not penalize players for fumbles lost on PR and KO
Added the ability to search the available player list when making waiver claims
Randomizer button for Waiver Wire when Commissioner determines order

-----
Allow League Fee Payments via Paypal
Continue updating many of the pages to a more modern look as the 2016 season progresses
Customer preferences on the draft and auction boards automatically saved between visits
Import ADP/AAV into auto draft queue
Button for commish leagues to create/join a daily league

----
Add Player Notes to Draft Guide
Add auctions to API for FantasyPro tools
Ability to download draft results in Excel
Convert site to HTTPS
Change our process to automatically publish player notes instead of having a human in the loop
Numerous improvements to v2 of Free RTSports App (including iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets).
- numerous bug fixes
- new functions, including Trading, Add/Drop, Waivers, Scrolling Player Notes, Message Board & Push Notifications
Drag Drop waiver claims on touch devices
Update trading pages to match the new menus and responsive design that will work on all sized devices
App for Baseball - Incorporate basic baseball functions into iOS and Android App

----
Breaking News Push Notifications in Draft Guide App
Add Search to Ranking and ADP in the Draft Guide
Auction Plus Button Improvement
Offer RTSports-run Football Dynasty Leagues
Produce an iOS and an Android app for Daily games

----
Enhanced Notification Capability (email, push notifications, Text)
- for Message Board Posts, Commish Notes, Trades, Player Drops, and Drafting.
Text messages get sent when customer is on the clock in slow drafts
eBay style Max Bids in Auctions
Novice-Only Football Money Leagues
RTSports App Enhancements
- NFL, MLB, and NBA Scores and Boxes
- Tie-breaker capability when setting lineups
- Team owners can view tiebreaker player(s) and designate player(s) to be their tiebreaker player(s) via the app
- Push Notification Enhancements for inactive player notifications, Drops, and Commish Notes
- Contingent drop functionality when trading
- Allows team owners to select players to be dropped when a trade is unbalanced
- Affix navigation links to bottom of screen and add a soft back button in the upper left corner
Team Invites via Text Msg
Power player lineup - download to spreadsheet
Complete migration of pages to new architecture - Manage League wizard was the final piece
Standings Meter in baseball Roto leagues

----
Draft capability within the App for baseball and football and dfs
Taxi Squad
Offer RTSports-run Baseball Dynasty Leagues
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner